White Balloon

Daily Journal of Mahaan, an Iranian-American student residing in USA.

Thursday, May 05, 2005

LA

I'm in Los Angeles for a summer position. After about 10 years of leaving Tehran for US, this is the first time that I live in a mega city like LA. Still it's too early to talk about things here, because so far most of my time has gone to preparing our housing and also my job which started a day after our arrival.

Something strange that I've observed here: It was the first time in the land of shopping and consuming, that I saw the retailer was not able to respond to the consumer's thirst of shopping. We went to Target and Walmart stores to buy couple of basic things like paper towel, trash basket, etc. and we found shelf after shelf empty. The stores were such a mess filled with people who were competing with each other to grab the remaining stuff. For a second it reminded me the years of the war (Iraq-Iran) that stores were like this in Tehran. Yes, LA is really huge with a lot of people.
 
Weblog Trackback by HaloScan.com