White Balloon

Daily Journal of Mahaan, an Iranian-American student residing in USA.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Katrina

When I read about this story about the Katrina's aftermath in the neighboring states, I thought about the people of Dogville. Couple of times I wanted to write some notes about the turn of the events after this huge storm. But I really felt speechless, because it was really dificult to digest the situation in 21st century America. From the stupidity of the administration (personally, I didn't expect more from Bush) in early handling of the situation, to the dirty pictures of poverty, rape and violence that were shown to the world. Besides the government's poor handling, one sad observation that I had (in my school and town) these days was how little people talk and care about the misery that has happened to their fellow citizens. The other day, I was thinking about the reaction of Iranian people when the Bam earthquake happened 2 years. At a period that political chaos and corruption has filled the whole atmosphere of the country, I saw and amazing level of solidarity and care from people from all levels of the society. I can't forget the rainy evenings after the incident in Tehran when I saw hundreds of people bringing all sorts of goods and money, and the long lines of blood donations and volunteer sign ups.

Maybe my vision is too much dark towards this society, but believe me: at the time that the propaganda machine of this country keeps talking about democracy and social justice for the Middle East, this lousy economic and cultural condition for the citizens of this country is truly a shame.
 
Weblog Trackback by HaloScan.com