White Balloon

Daily Journal of Mahaan, an Iranian-American student residing in USA.

Monday, March 06, 2006

In Cairo, Day 1

I'm in Cairo, Egypt for a short family related visit.Still I'm quite zoned out and jet lagged. I walked to a new and huge shopping mall tonight. What I saw was literally a picture of "Jihad vs. Mac World". A serious tango of aggressive globalization and local resistance to it. I should definitely see and write more around this concept. Even in this 7th visit, Cairo as the capital of the Arab world and to some extent the Moslem world, has a lot to offer me.I also briefly watched some satellite TV from all around the world: Something that I don't have time, mind and money for it in US. The one from the Iranian government (Jam-e-Jam TV) was the most interesting one. Finally I see some signs of fast paced programming. And to my surprise the TV has relaxed its conservative policies quite a bit: Some interviews with women with ultra relaxed hijabs, some programs which challenge the conservative family costumes, etc. What Islamic Republic is desperate to gain is national unity in these challenging days of nuclear standoff with the west.
 
Weblog Trackback by HaloScan.com