White Balloon

Daily Journal of Mahaan, an Iranian-American student residing in USA.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Southern Iranians in this Arabian land

8 AM on Friday morning: Waiting in the line of local bakery where you buy fresh hot bread out of the oven for 5 cents .... The crowd are expat-labor from Pakistan, Sudan.... many illiterate, yet able to speak in 4-5 languages: Arabic, Urdu, Hindi, Bangali.... In front of me is a dark-skin old-man who is approached by another younger fellow. Then I hear them talking in sweet baluchi-Persian accent. Stories of their loved ones being in Iran and they working here and making bucks for them there. As we speak and joke, I feel amazed on the power of language and culture which connects us. This is an excellent type of connection that I have found in the last year, dealing with southern-Iranians who live here. A warmth that comes with modesty and brotherhood. Something that I might not feel much while dealing with my country-men in Tehran or in the US.

 
Weblog Trackback by HaloScan.com